Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Le Temps Viendra - One of the best historical fiction accounts to date!



I received Le Temps Viendra as a gift from my future in-laws who met Sarah Morris at a Christmas Event at The Vyne, a National Trust Property near Basingstoke.  They were charmed by her and because of my love for all things Tudor were anxious for my opinion.  Initially, I was hesitant because the approach Morris takes was foreign to me, but realized I was becoming stuck in my ways far too young and decided to embrace the idea of time travel.  I quickly realized Sarah Morris had found a truly original framework for her novel and like myself was a true admirer of Queen Anne Boleyn.  I was soon riveted!

The story begins with a 21st century Anne indulging in an ‘Anne Boleyn Connoisseurs’ Weekend’ at Hever Castle.  She soon feels unwell and leaves the group in hope she can compose herself.  Anne wanders the castle and finds herself in the upstairs long gallery and collapses into one of the windows seats and slips into unconsciousness. When she next opens her eyes she has traveled back 500 years and is now within the body of Anne Boleyn who is roused from the window seat by her sister Mary who has come to tell her of the King’s arrival.  Our modern Anne is confused and disoriented but plays along.  At first the modern Anne feels her own mind at work within the body of Boleyn and feels that she must find a way to save Anne from her fate.  Though Anne Boleyn’s own emotions begin to rise in her and eventually dominate but also influence the modern Anne.

The visit of the King marks the beginning of his relationship with Anne and Sarah Morris’ vivid description of Anne’s thoughts and emotions during this exciting and tumultuous time transport the reader back in time.  As each page turned I found myself experiencing t the excitement, anxiety, love, enchantment and passion that were Anne’s through Sarah Morris’ written word.   Sarah Morris has not only produced a great work of fiction she also clearly did her research and bases her fictional tale around true historical events.  The detail she provides is amazing from the clothing and jewelry to the castles and events of the Tudor court.   Truly, Le Temps Viendra is a top to bottom account of the Tudor world of 1527.  I confess that my own fascination with all things Tudor began in childhood and eventually led to an advanced degree I certainly learned a thing or two from the amazing descriptive detail Sarah Morris provides.  

Without any hesitation I would say this is one of the best works of historical fiction I have read to date.  I will not spoil the read for you any further but urge you to read Le Temps Viendra yourself.  You will never forget it. 

I anxiously await the next installment and am forever grateful to Sarah Morris for bringing Anne to life.  

This review qualifies for the following challenges:
Historical Fiction Book Review #4
Tudor Book Blog Reading Challenge #4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...