Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday #1


I have made a mid-year resolution... to start participating in memes!  I cannot say why I have waited so long or really why I feel the need to begin now, but I am looking forward to connecting with other bloggers and having some fun with the blog at the same time. 

I have chosen to begin with Top Ten Tuesday (TTT) which originated as an   feature/weekly meme created by  The Broke and the Bookish (TBTB) but I found the meme while checking out Starbucks and Books Obsession.

Each week features a new topic for your "List of Ten".  The topic is posted by TBTB but the best feature is that the topics, through October, are already posted on their blog! TBTB also have a linky post so that all the participating blogs can mingle...

Top Ten Tuesday: #1 

Top Ten Best and Worst Movie Adaptations

BEST





1. Bridget Jones’ Diary I laughed out loud reading and watching… the film and the book coexist in perfect harmony.

2. The Outsiders FAB, FAB, FAB; but you knew that didn’t you?

3. To Kill A Mockingbird (The actors spot on portrayal of the dynamic characters of the novel and really makes it impossible not to picture Vivian Leigh and Marlon Brando when you next read the novel or really even think of it. 

4. The Age of Innocence This required a second watch for me after a refresher read of the novel and after that the film was so subtlety brilliant it was a retreat back into another time.  The actor's, especially Michelle Pfeiffer Daniel Day-Lewis, have amazing chemistry and both give amazing performances.

5. Gone With the Wind In my heart this will always be the best adaptation but cut me some slack – I was born and raised in Atlanta, GA. Honestly, could anyone dream up a more amazing cast: Leigh, Gable and Hattie McDaniel; hell, even Leslie Howard as Ashley annoys me within an inch of my life despite my habitual viewing of the film.

WORST




1. The Other Boleyn Girl I truly looked forward to this film and while I disagree with Gregory’s characterization of Anne Boleyn, the novel was enjoyable; the film, not so much.

2. The Da Vinci Code Too much book for a film; For me it just didn’t hold up to detailed layers of the mystery Brown presents in the novel, but to be honest I don't think anyone could have done much better. The plot just moved too fast for film.

3. The Scarlett Letter DISASTER!!

4. Flowers in the Attic I admit it.  I read the entire series.  

5. Atonement I have to admit, I went looking for a fifth film for the worst and as soon as I saw the title I had to add it to my list. Perhaps I just forget about the bad ones!

2 comments:

  1. Just curious - how would you rate The Godfather?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question, with a crazy non-answer. Believe it or not I've never seen it! It came out during a period of my life in which whatever my parents liked, enjoyed, etc... was like being boiled alive. This movie fell into that trap and I've never seen it. Of course, I have heard all about it and certainly believes it deserves a spot in the top five but not mine...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...